Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Chubby Chicken and Some Yummy Guacamole

It's really awesome living in an area that has so many different authentic ethnic foods around. A couple of my favorite are of course Mexican. One is a taco truck, and the other is an actual restaurant. Prior to eating at these two places, I absolutely hated guacamole. Gross, yuck, nasty stuff! Turns out I just was not getting the best ever stuff. These two places have the best ever guacamole ever! They totally rock.

Moving on, I'm sorry I get side tracked so easily. Especially when it comes to really good food. A couple of weeks back I came across this recipe that sounded like the ultimate Mexi comfort food. Today I decided it was time to make it, and I'm so glad I did. I wanted to make something to put over the top or to dip the Taquitos in, and I of course thought of the awesome guacamole. So I decided to make my own. Scary I know.

So to begin first we have the Chubby Chicken and Cream Cheese Taquitos. I cheated on this one since I got it from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

Ingredients:
3 C. cooked and shredded chicken
6 oz. cream cheese softened
1/3 C. sour cream
1 1/2 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 C. chopped fresh spinach with stems  
         removed
1/2 C. salsa
salt and pepper to taste
9-10 flour tortillas
vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
1.) In a large bowl, mix together the chicken,  cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, cheddar, and spinach. This is wickedly thick and I found it hard to mix by hand. Then again, I'm a wimp. 
Season with the salt and pepper

2.) Working with one tortilla at a time, spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mix off center and spread out. Make sure you leave just under half the tortilla bare. It spreads as you roll it up which is the next step. Roll that tortilla up, and place seam side down. Roll those suckers all up.

3.) Add enough oil to a large skillet to generously cover the bottom. Heat on medium to medium-low heat. Cook tortillas in batches, turning to brown each side. Remove and set on paper towels to drain. 

4.) Serve with your choice of dunking sauce, which in this case would be the guacamole.

Guacamole Recipe

This turned out to be a cross between my two favorite places. I for sure will be added more garlic next time. By the way, this makes a HUGE batch. You might want to half the recipe, or freeze half of it like I did.


Ingredients:
5 large Hass Avocadoes (black in color, slightly soft to the press)
2 large limes. I confess, I used lime concentrate too since the two limes didn't give it enough taste. I have no idea how much I used as I sort of spaced out while squirting it into the food processor. Maybe about 1 Tablespoon or so. 
1 medium onion, diced 
3/4 C. loosely packed,finely chopped cilantro
1 large tomato, diced. I used two large romas as they were bigger than the biggest beefsteak tomatoes at the store. I can't wait for my garden!
2 large garlic cloves minced
salt to taste
1/2- whole fresh jalapeno (optional)

First off I whipped mine up in the food processor since mashing things hurts my hands. You can mash it all up by hand if you want though. 
1.) Slice avocados in half, remove pit, and scoop out the "meat" with a spoon. Place in a bowl, or processor.

2.) Add juice of one fresh lime immediately to prevent browning. Mash or process to desired consistency.  

3.) Add chopped onions, tomato(s), second lime, garlic and cilantro. Make sure you mix it all up nice and good.

4.) Add jalapeno to taste

5.) Let sit and chill for a couple of hours for the flavors to mix and meld all together. Enjoy some yummy goodness.

I would have had pictures, I actually remembered to take some this time. However, I can not find the cord for my camera. I will have to add those later. Hope you enjoy this as much as we all did here.

      
     
   

 

1 comment: