Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Adventure of the Stuffed Pork Chops


     I get in these fazes where I like to try new recipes. Sometimes it's a hit, sometimes it's a far miss. My poor family. Sunday I was looking through the good ole mom recipe boxes and I came across one that sounded good. Well I made it last night, but didn't think to take pictures. Sorry my bad...forgive me? Next time I make these, and there will be a next time, I will take pictures and post them on here.

     This was a chancy recipe for me to try, since it had one ingredient that most of the family doesn't really care for...Blue Cheese. I love it, DH will eat it, Superman loves the dressing, Jokester and Princess hate it. But it had a redeeming ingredient that we all love...bacon. Yes a recipe with pork in pork. You just have to love that.

     I have never used a recipe with Butterfly cuts of meat before, and when I went shopping I looked at the price and found them to be out of the price range. So I instead I looked for the thickest regular cut pork chops I could find. This was going to be interesting, but in the long run I'm glad I didn't get the butterfly cut.

     So last night I got all the ingredients together and started on this adventure. The recipe says it makes 4 servings but the pack of chops I bought had six in it. What the hell I'll make it work. First I made up the stuffing which consisted of the Blue Cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, and chopped chives. I then grabbed a chop and for the first time in my life I did a butterfly cut. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'll take any accomplishment I make.

     It was when I tried to "stuff" the stuffing in the beautifully cut chop that I realized the cut wasn't the best for doing this. It was somewhat difficult to keep the stuffing in the chop. So I used a trusty toothpick to keep it shut. The next chop I cut I just cut half way through and used the tip of the knife to form a pocket in the remaining half. Perfect! Stuffing, stuffed right in there and I was able to really stuff it in there good. I still used a toothpick to keep it shut, as I didn't want all the goodness to escape while cooking.

     Got all the chops stuffed, and sprinkled with pepper, and garlic powder. I highly recommend not using garlic salt or any salt on these. Between the Blue Cheese and bacon they are pretty salty on their own. I did see a note on the bottom of the recipe to use 1/2 Blue Cheese and 1/2 Feta Cheese. Thinking this might cut down on some of the salt flavor and the intensity of the Blue Cheese. I couldn't afford the Feta so it was Blue all the way.

     Popped these bad boys in a 325 degree pre-heated oven, and set the timer for 20 minutes according to the recipe. They must have used really thin chops because mine were no where near done after 20 minutes. I ended up baking for an extra 15 minutes. I would still start with the 20 minutes you can always cook more if needed.
The only thing I would do different would be to sear the chops before baking to give a little extra flavor and to seal in the juices better.

     Oh man these things smelled good while they were cooking! I could hardly wait for them to be done. I was almost drooling. Put me out with the dogs! Anyhow when they were done I served them up, and to my surprise Jokester and Princess loved them. Score!
Superman however did not. I'm thinking it wasn't the taste so much as all the chewing he had to do because he did eventually finish them after he ground them up to look like dog food. I know...lets not go there k. DH loved them too when I gave him his supper when he got home from work later that night. So all in all this adventure ended great. Full tummies with smiles on the faces. Live is good.


Stuffed Pork Chops

Ingredients:
4 boneless pork loin chops, butterflied or as I did above
1/2 lb crumbled Blue Cheese or 1/4lb Blue Cheese and 1/4 lb Feta Cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 c. chopped chives
garlic powder and pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley for garnish (I didn't use, this my meals don't have to be fancy)

Directions:
preheat oven to 325 degrees F 
Grease a shallow baking pan ( I used cooking spray)
In a small bowl, mix together cheese(s), bacon, and chives. Divide equally into loose balls.
Stuff balls into pork chops close and secure with toothpicks.
Season each pork chop with garlic powder and pepper to your liking.
Sear  pork chops if you prefer, and place in baking pan.
Bake for 20 minutes or until stuffing is hot and meat is cooked.
Garnish with parsley and serve. 

 
Like Me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment