Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Parts of the Female Body: The Dreaded Mammogram


     Hey yous, thought I might touch on something a bit more serious here today. You see tomorrow I get to go have my yearly Mammogram. I'm am not 40 yet, but I am supposed to be getting one done yearly since I was 27. You see my mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the age of 27, so that automatically put me in the lucky category of "we'll make an exception for you." Here in Minnesota a woman usually will not get one until they turn 40 or in some cases 50, and then I believe it's every two years. Luck me huh? 

     Now you might have noticed that I used the word "supposed" when referring to getting a Mammogram done yearly. Well that's because I haven't. There is this thing in me that says, "nope, not gonna do that". I would much rather go through labor again than stand there having my boobies smushed. It fricken Hurts! When they say it's more painful the larger the breast, they aren't kidding. When I got my first one, I was rather small, but three kids later and a few extra pounds (ok much more than a few pounds), those suckers are much bigger. The bigger you are the more pressure they have to apply to get a good X-ray.


Never mind the fact there's some person (lady in my case) grabbing your boobies and plopping them on a cold steal plate. Sometimes I hate being a woman.

     So even thought Breast Cancer Awareness Month has pasted, make sure you still remember to get this done if you land in the luck category. Especially if you have a family history of this. There are low cost or free programs here in the states if you don't have insurance or you cant afford this. Pick up the phone and make that appointment, and while your there make sure you don't deck the poor technician. They need a paycheck too. Then you can be part of the Smushed Boobies Club, just like me.


Update: Got the results and everything is a-o-k with the boobies!

No comments:

Post a Comment