Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Getting My Freak On


I have a thing. It's a huge thing, well to me at least. I hate my hair. Yeah, yeah, I know most every woman hates their hair, but mine is different.

You see I have naturally curly hair that is ultra thick, now just wait before you go hating on me for this "awesome" hair, just hear me out.  I'll give you a bit of background on this hair that has become my nightmare.

When I was younger, my hair was of average thickness maybe a tad on the thick side. Not a problem. Then around age five the natural curl started with a gentle wave. Not too bad I guess, but as the years went on the thickness and the curliness grew. Basically when I was younger, if I didn't have a perm, it looked like I never brushed my hair. I could brush it and two minutes later it looked like I had been through a stiff wind. On the flip side of having a perm that controlled the hair, I now looked like a Q-tip. Oh yeah bad perms to the max. What really didn't help was the fact that my hair was so thick and I had so much it usually took three people to roll it. They all rolled it different. One was just right, one was too loose, and the other too tight. I guess I could be someone different depending on which way you were looking at me. Not funny. My natural look is a ting of wave in the front and sides, along with the top layer in back. The further down my head you go the curlier and kinkier it gets. A straightener does no good. Trust me I have tried, and after two hours of trying to straighten the back, I gave up.

Now on top of the curly hair, my hair's color is...let's just say different. At my temples I have natural blond streaks. These I actually like! No highlighting for me. The color of my hair however not so cool. I'm not blond or dirty blond, it's not brown, or light brown, it's not red or chestnut. It certainly isn't black. It is a mix of all these colors. I used to work with some people from Equator and I asked them to tell me the color of my hair in Spanish. They couldn't give me one. They just shrugged their shoulders and said, "I don't know".  Great! I have a undefinable hair color. You might think it sounds cool, but in reality it's just a muted mass of color mayhem. 

Now on top of all those colors I began getting grey or rather I should say white at the ripe ole age of 27. Thanks again mom, and dang it dad, Mr. sixty-four years old and not a single grey hair. Ya couldn't pass that gene on to me? The evil white hair is located on the top back of my head on each side in blobs. Yes you read correct...blobs. The right side being much whiter. Fortunately the top layer of hair covers it so you cant see it. I truly can't wait to see what an interesting look this will eventually be.

So as I get older the hair gets thicker, and curlier and the color changes. I can't wear it short because I look like I stuck my finger in a light socket.  Wearing it long, is stifling in the summer. It's so thick the air can't get through and my head sweats and itches all the time, and unless I put a TON of product in, which makes my head itch even more, my hair frizzes once it dries no matter what season it is.

Funny thing is, there is no one in the family who has this type of hair. If I didn't look so much like my dad I would think my mom had a little fun with the milk man. Then again there isn't anyone in the family who has two different colored eyes either. I guess I'm just a freak. So I'm gonna continue to get my freak on...oh that sounded kinda bad. 

This is my hair semi-dry and already starting to poof. God I hate having pictures taken of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment