Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Shoveling Snow...Not a Good Idea

Today is supposed to be a pretty mellow day. Hopefully it stays that way, although looking out my window at the snow that is coming down...it might make things a bit more interesting later while I'm out driving. 

Yesterday wasn't such a good day for me. I was in a lot of pain. My arthritis was kicking my butt. So far today it seems to be doing ok, but then again I haven't gone out to shovel yet or actually done much of anything so far. 

It's sort of funny. I went to the Rheumatologist originally for the pain in my hips, but he seemed more focused on my hands. So I asked him why he was looking at my hands, because to me it seemed there wasn't a problem there, it was my hips that were killing me. 

He says to me, "your dad has psoriasis doesn't he?" "Um, well yes he does, but how did you know that, and further more what does that have to do with my hands?" It seems that people who have or are carriers of Psoriasis tend to get arthritis more. I so, did not know that, but I do now, and since I'm so nice I decided you all need to know that too. See, you can learn something from me. Then again if you already knew this, well I guess your just S.O.L today. Catch you some other time.

So back to the doc...I says to him I says, "you know my hands don't really hurt, It's my hips that hurt." So he reluctantly stops examining my hands, pushes on one of my hips, which sends me clinging to the ceiling in pain. Once I manage to uncling myself from the ceiling and am sitting back on the table trying to look like I didn't just fly onto the ceiling, he says, "yep you have Bursitis in your hips." Now I have heard of Bursitis before but didn't really know what is was, and isn't that something much older people get? Apparently not, because that is exactly what is wrong with my hips. Yeah me! I even Goggled it and the internet says my doctor isn't blowing smoke up my ass. We all know the internet is all knowing right?

Well the doc puts me on some medicine for the arthritis and Prednisone for the hips, get a shot of cordisone in the hips . Took the Prednisone for about four months and guess what? Holy crap! The hands that didn't hurt, stopped hurting, along with my hips to of course. It seems the arthritis came on slowly in my hands and I didn't really notice the change and I just thought the fatness of my fingers was just due to weight gain. (I have some short fat fingers people, I shall never be a piano player with these stubs.) Suddenly I could almost get my rings back on, and actually fold my hands (not that I do that very often, but if I wanted to, I could now).


It's time to go back to the doc, because my hips are hurting big time, and in the last week or so I haven't been able to even open a bag of chips. My fingers just don't want to work, and they hurt so bad and are swollen again. It makes it very hard to get things done around here. It's funny how something that I didn't even know "hurt" before, is making life so hard now. Live and learn I guess.

By the way...shoveling wasn't such a good idea. Hands and fingers are now on fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment